Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Fictional letters from future students

Dear Mr. Kuepfer, I wanted to thank you for the way you taught me enjoy math. Your classes were full of exciting discoveries, as you guided me into seeing connections that I had never seen before, and taught me how to solve problems in ways I'd never have expected. I remember that I struggled with math before your class, and found it boring, but your explanations were always crystal clear, and the activities and problems that we worked on were always fresh and interesting. I loved how you would let us explore a difficult problem in groups for a while, giving just enough hints to nudge us towards a solution - that was when I felt I learned the most. I also think those group activities just gave the class a good feel - everyone was included and having a good time, and everyone learned a lot. I hope you're continuing to inspire your students like you inspired me!

Sincerely,
A. Student

----------------

Dear Mr. Kuepfer, I was going over my old yearbook the other day, and I thought I should write my old math teacher. I guess I have some complaints I wanted to air, but never did until now. To be honest, your class confused the heck out of me, and it wasn't until I took a few other math classes that I realized that I wasn't actually bad at math, you just made it too confusing. For the sake of future students, please try to be clearer in your explanations, and stop putting completely new kinds of problems on your tests - it's too much to ask of high school students under the stress of a test. Also, your delivery is boring, and sometimes hard to understand - if you could try to speak more dynamically and clearly that would be very helpful.

Sincerely,
B. Student

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflection on the course

I would divide what I've learned from this course into two categories: the practical, which mostly came from preparing and presenting th...