One group wrote that it doesn't make sense to teach relational understanding early in life, making the connection to how people learn languages. I think the language comparison actually makes an argument for teaching relational understanding from an early age - very young children learn how to express ideas verbally much sooner than they learn to use proper grammar, spelling, and syntax. I think something like spelling is more akin to instrumental math, and while it's important to learn when young, it never replaces the goal of being able to communicate (relational understanding. In math, I think young children should build their conceptual understanding at the same time as, or before, they learn instrumental procedures for calculation.
Monday, September 21, 2020
Sept 21 Exit Slip
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Reflection on the course
I would divide what I've learned from this course into two categories: the practical, which mostly came from preparing and presenting th...
-
My lesson plan for our first 10 minute microteaching session: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FuF8fYy5OdvyDx5nZjAkSaNWejXXF59MkvyzShDZF...
-
I had seen this problem a long time ago, and while I didn't remember the exact solution, I had some vague memories that definitely help...
-
Before this presentation, it had been a long time since I had done any group projects, but I though this one went quite smoothly! The time c...
Thanks for these thoughtful comments!
ReplyDelete