In all of elementary, high school, and university, I don't remember ever having a math textbook that I found effective. As a teacher, I really appreciate the attention to linguistic detail put forth in this article - particularly the analysis of the use of first/second/third person, and the discussion of how these details affect whether the reader sees math as absolute or more subjective. On the other hand, though, as a student I don't think that these details can, on their own, make a textbook something I want to learn from. There are many other concerns with textbook design, such as problem design and exposition style, that I find more important when learning from a textbook.
In general I'm inclined to not use a textbook, except possibly for practice questions. I think they are good to give ideas about structuring units, but I value adapting my lessons to my individual style and my individual classes more than the ease of use that comes from a textbook. From my experience, students also dislike textbooks, so it's more likely that they'll be disengaged if I use them.
As an aside, th article did make me consider the common use of "we" in math literature. As the standard pronoun used in proofs, I appreciate the way it makes written mathematical content seem like a collaboration between writer and reader, as if they are exploring the ideas together. I want to make "we" the standard pronoun in my classroom as well, to bring students into the process, even when I'm teaching from the front.
Sunday, November 22, 2020
Math textbooks and their language
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Reflection on the course
I would divide what I've learned from this course into two categories: the practical, which mostly came from preparing and presenting th...
-
My lesson plan for our first 10 minute microteaching session: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FuF8fYy5OdvyDx5nZjAkSaNWejXXF59MkvyzShDZF...
-
I had seen this problem a long time ago, and while I didn't remember the exact solution, I had some vague memories that definitely help...
-
Before this presentation, it had been a long time since I had done any group projects, but I though this one went quite smoothly! The time c...
Interesting! Remember that there are several kinds of 'we' -- both inclusive and exclusive of the listener or reader. ('Now we'll take our medicine' may be a condescending way of saying 'now you'll take your medicine'; 'in mathematics, we do it this way' may exclude mathematics learners...) It's very interesting to think about how to use a clearly inclusive 'we' in class!
ReplyDelete