Here are my results:
I was not surprised that my Transmission score was low and my Development score was high, since I feel like those results align with my teaching philosophy. I was a little surprised that my social reform score was quite low, since I care quite a bit about teaching conscientiousness and responsibility. It does make sense with the way I answered the questions though - since most of the questions asked about my current teaching habits, and I haven't introduced those topics into my practicum teaching yet, I said I rarely take activist stances in my teaching. I expect that to change a little as I get more comfortable teaching though.
One of the topics on the quiz that I was unsure of was apprenticeship - in particular, is it necessary for a teacher to be an expert in their subject area? My initial reaction was yes, at least to some degree. I don't think teachers need to have, say, PhD's, but they should be able to answer just about any question a student asks, and be able to contextualize and extend the material in interesting ways. In my experience, students also get more excited about learning when they know their teacher has a very good knowledge of the subject area. I do think it's possible to be a very good teacher while not knowing a huge amount beyond the course content, so I'm hesitant to say that it's necessary, but it's always better for the teacher to have more knowledge.

Thanks for these thoughtful comments! You might want to try taking the TPI again after your practicum to see how it comes out at that point.
ReplyDelete